Saturday, February 8, 2014

My Top 5 Spring Steelhead Flies

As I sit at my tying bench recovering from hernia surgery of 2 weeks ago I'm starting to feel well again and my thoughts are turning to spring steelhead. It's time to start filling my spring box because although it's been a brutally hard winter this year, March is just around the corner.
To get myself, and you in the right mood for tying I thought I would fill you in on my Top 5 favorite spring steelhead flies. These Top 5 have been the same for nearly 5 years now and unless I or someone else comes up with a doozy, I don't know that they'll change anytime soon. Over the next 5 posts I will be highlighting one of the flies that I've come to rely heavy on during the spring run and each has been proven as solid as gold. For today I will start with a fly that is not my own design although I do tie it just a little different than its originator who is none other than my great friend Kevin Feenstra www.feenstraguideservice.com
I have worked with Kevin for many years now, he is one of the best people and guides I know and his patterns are tried and true. So, as the first of these next 5 posts, I give you Kevin Feenstra's BTS (Better Than Spawn).